A History Of District Newspapers  
 South Bourke and Mornington Journal

Earliest references to newspapers in the Bunyip area that published local articles date from 1865 when the “South Bourke and Mornington Journal” was distributed widely around the district. The paper was published in Richmond until 1926 and then moved to Dandenong where it became “The Dandenong Journal” in 1927. It ceased publication in 1972.
Bunyip Free Press and Berwick Shire Guardian

“The West Gippsland Gazette” was first published in July 1898 and would become the “The Warragul Gazette” in 1931. It was also circulated widely. On Tuesday the 11th May 1909 it published an article entitled “BUNYIP FREE PRESS”.

“Another new star has recently appeared in the journalistic firmament. It was launched on its literary career from Bunyip and its title is the "Bunyip Free Press." The paper is published every Monday by the proprietors, Messrs Corrigan Bros, who recently owned a paper at Casterton. Judging by the three issues which have come under our notice, the new journal is well written and covers a fairly wide field, in ,political, economic, sporting and social matters. Its issue of the 2nd inst. contains a trenchant article on anti-vaccination in which the injustice of the present law and the absurdity of imposing its conditions upon the fresh-air-loving children of healthy happy Australia, is commented upon with caustic severity. The "Free Press" is a well arranged paper and if the proprietors are able to maintain its present standard its future success should be assured.”

Bunyip Free Press started publication in Bunyip around April 1909. It published a wide variety of articles and advertising with an emphasis on local affairs. Unlike other publications of its time it appears to have spent all its life headquartered in Bunyip. It’s last recorded publish date was December 16 1915.




Bunyip and Garfield Express

Bunyip and Garfield Express was first published in Drouin in 1883 by H.S. Davy. It had various owners and publishers and was known by many names over its lifetime. It seems to have been published in Drouin for most if not all its life. It eventually was discontinued in 1979 while being owned by Warragul Regional Newspaper.

About Us

Bunyip & District Community News

After the demise of the “Bunyip and Garfield Express” in 1979, communications within the Bunyip area had become limited, and a suggestion was made to produce a community newsletter. Organizations and clubs were contacted by letter for support, and the Red Cross were asked to sponsor a public meeting. This was held in the Bunyip Hall supper room after the annual Red Cross meeting on the 6th September, 1982. A well attended meeting resulted with representatives from a number of Bunyip groups, and the Shire Council representative, Cr. K Anderson.
     Because the initial meeting was sponsored by Red Cross and held following their annual meeting, confusion has arisen and some people today call it the Red Cross Newsletter. This is not correct as an independent committee was formed with the title agreed upon, to be the “Bunyip & District Newsletter”.
     The 1982 committee elected were President and Co-Editor, Mrs E Porter: secretary, Mrs J McDermid; Treasurer, Mrs M Cowie; Co-Editor, Mr R Clark; Typists, Mrs K Moody, Mrs R Bernault; Committee – Mr R Porter, Mrs W Ockwell, and Mrs B O’Connor.
     Advance notices and reports of meetings, news items, advertisements, etc were printed fortnightly and circulated via shopkeepers in Bunyip and Garfield. This work involved a team of 25 unpaid volunteers, and 560 copies, usually four to six pages, were distributed. Printing began at the Bunyip Primary School, then later to garage accommodations at the home of Mr & Mrs Dick Baker of Garfield, then to the office of Cooper’s Real Estate Agency in Bunyip for some time. When Red Cross moved into the shop known as Fletts in Main Street, where there was a large back room, an invitation was accepted to keep equipment there. The Newsletter operated from this site from 1984 – 1990, when Red Cross were required to move to another shop, and the Newsletter found a new home in the R.S.L. hall.